What Is A Personal Injury Lawyer?
Personal injury in Colorado is a vast topic with hundreds of titles listed below it. It is very vague, simply because it is nearly impossible to predict what kind of injury any given accident may cause as it is nearly impossible to predict how a person will react during that accident. There is no definition as to what can be treated as a personal injury and what cannot. A guilty or not guilty verdict in a personal injury lawsuit is determined merely by the circumstances surrounding the accident itself and what caused it.
Accidents can happen at any time, and on a wide scope of severity. At times, accidents happen because of human error or negligence, which can lead to a personal injury claim. Common examples of personal injury cases include motor vehicle collisions, slip and falls, workplace injuries, dog bites, medical malpractice, product defects, and assault.
When someone is seriously injured in an accident due to another's negligence, they may be entitled to certain compensation for their damages and losses incurred as a result of the accident and subsequent injuries. Damages and losses differ from case to case depending on several factors, such as the extent of injuries, the extent of negligence, and the unique circumstances of the accident.
Common Types of Losses
Personal injury claims generally recognize and consider three types of losses, referred to as "compensatory damages." These include economic losses, future economic losses, and non-economic losses. Types of economic losses may include medical expenses, hospital bills, OTC medication costs, prescription costs, lost wages, time off work, child care expenses, home maintenance expenses, fuel costs (to and from doctors' visits), and similar expenditures.
Lost Income and Additional Losses
When a person is seriously injured in an accident, they are unable to work, which means they lose out on the bi-weekly wages that generally pay for the cost of living. Rent, mortgages, car payments, electric bills, groceries, and more, are all common bills that must be paid to maintain the quality of life a victim had before the accident. If they are unable to work, they are losing money that usually pays these expenses and more. These types of losses may be recoverable in a personal injury case.
Additional monetary losses that may result from a serious injury include vehicle replacement, funeral costs, pain and suffering, loss of companionship, loss of work abilities, long-term emotional trauma, PTSD, and more.
Defining Common Damages in Personal Injury Cases
Auto Accidents and Personal Injury Law - A Guide
It's no secret that personal injury attorneys have a bad reputation in our society. We have all heard the stereotypes and jokes about those "ambulance chasing" lawyers: that we take advantage of vulnerable people for our own personal gain, that we chase ambulances looking for our next payday, and that we will do any shady or underhanded action in order to get paid.
These stereotypes are not only false, but they are damaging to our legal system. The legal system is what people should turn to in their time of need. And truth be told, the vast majority of injury attorneys help their clients get the compensation they deserve. People that are hurt in a car accident, personal injury, or injured by a defective product turn to accident lawyers every day.
So where do these negative stereotypes come from? Primarily they come from popular media that is largely influenced by the insurance company's tort reform agenda. TV shows, the news, and movies very often show lawyers in the worst light possible: greedy and vindictive. Danny DeVito's character in "The Rainmaker" is an excellent example. He is an incompetent and unethical attorney who frequently visits people in hospitals in order to drum up business.
Of course what is often ignored is that the primary push behind these negative stereotypes are corporations and insurance companies that hope to use these bad public images to their advantage. They try to say that injury lawyers and their clients are the antagonists trying to benefit from a lawsuit lottery, and the attorneys are trying to benefit from their client's misfortunes. However, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to do what we do and many attorneys chose to work with injured people because they want to help people.
There may be a time in everyone's life when they are faced with a situation that they will consider hiring a personal injury attorney. Remember that there are many injury attorneys out there that will fight hard for you. You are not, and should not be just another number or paycheck for your lawyers.You are an individual with your own worries and hopes about your case. You deserve to be treated with respect by a personal injury lawyer who appreciates having you as a client.
Common Personal Injuries
The most common injury behind most personal injury lawsuits are slip-and-fall injuries. These occur usually at the negligence of another person from failing to keep an area clean and free of debris or slippery substances. The most common causes of slip-and-fall cases are snow and ice, and failure to properly clean wet floors – both completely preventable. Injuries caused by slip-and-fall accidents are often listed individually when determining compensation in a personal injury lawsuit.
No matter what kind of injury, if it was caused by the negligence or fault of another person or business, it may be worth speaking to a qualified and experienced personal injury lawyer about. While it may seem far fetched, personal injury lawyers are trained to use the evidence at hand in combination with the laws in the area to find a reasonable outcome for their clients.
- Car Accident Insurance Lawyer CO
- Job Injury Attorneys El Paso County
- Slip And Fall Lawyers Air Force Academy
- Accident Lawyer Black Forest
- Personal Injury Attorney Broadmoor
- Personal Injury Law Office Calhan
- Accident Attorney Cascade
- Accident Attorney Central Colorado Springs
- Personal Injury Attorney Free Consultation Chipita Park
- Personal Injury Law Office Colorado Springs
- Job Injury Attorneys Downtown Colorado Springs
- Personal Injury Lawyer East Colorado Springs
- Car Accident Injuries Eastonville
- Personal Injury Lawyer Ellicott
- Personal Injury Attorney Free Consultation Elsmere
- Car Accident Attorney Near Me Falcon
- Best Car Accident Lawyer Fort Carson
- Car Accident Attorney Near Me Fountain
- Car Accident Insurance Lawyer Fountain Valley
- At Fault Car Accident Lawyer Gleneagle
- Car Accident Attorney Near Me Manitou Springs
- Slip And Fall Lawyers Monument
- Car Accident Injuries Monument Valley
- Lawyer For Car Accident Without Injury N Downtown Colorado Springs
- Injury Lawyer NNE Downtown Colorado Springs
- Auto Insurance Lawyer North Colorado Springs
- Personal Injury Attorney Old Colorado City
- Personal Accident Attorney Old Farm
- Personal Injury Lawyer Old North End
- Personal Injury Attorney Free Consultation Palmer Lake
- Injury Lawyer Papeton
- Injury Lawyer Peyton
- Best Car Accident Lawyer Pikeview
- Personal Injury Lawyer Ramah
- Car Accident Insurance Lawyer Roswell
- Personal Injury Lawyer Rush
- Car Accident Attorney Near Me Security
- Injury Lawyer Skinners
- Personal Injury Attorney South Colorado Springs
- Car Accident Attorney Near Me South Downtown Colorado Springs
- Auto Accident Lawyer West Colorado Springs
- Auto Insurance Lawyer Woodmen Valley
- Accident Attorney Yoder